Pre-requisite: ANSC 2
Credit: 3 units
Offered: Sem 1 and Sem 2
Description: Composition of feeds and their utilization by farm animals; formulation of ration; and quality control of feed ingredients and mixed feeds.
- Compare the digestion, absorption, and metabolism of different nutrients in ruminants versus in non-ruminants.
- Know the nutritional value and stereoscopic characteristics of commonly used feed ingredients in livestock and poultry feeding.
- Understand the different methods of feed evaluation and determine the feeding value of feed ingredients through proximate analysis.
- Calculate the coefficient of digestibility and the total digestible nutrient of feeds.
- Formulate diets that will satisfy the nutrient requirements of swine, poultry, beef cattle and dairy cattle and appreciate the importance of feed formulation in animal productivity.